The newsletter for members. Regular items include:
- Features from the front line
- What's New? Books and other resources on leadership, management and ministry
- Book reviews
- News from MODEM members
- News of forthcoming events
You can contact the editor here.
Free to members. Click here if you have not received your copy.
Issue 32, July 2016
- Announcing Modem's 2016 One Day Conference, 16 November 2016: Organisation encounters Theology: Making sense of ministries in a changing world
- Germinate Leadership Programme
- ESRC seminar, The Development of Ethical Leaders
- Welcome to new Treasurer & Trustee, Rachel Whitelaw
Issue 31, January 2016
The first issue produced by our new editor, Annie Carter.
- Issues of Trust, Power and Authority: a reflective report on Modem's 2015 conference.
- Farewell to Trustees, Tony Berry and Richard Fox.
- News on the Kingdom at Work project.
- Book reviews: Leadership: Contemporary Critical Perspectives and Multi-Congregation Ministry.
Click on the issue to open or download it.
- MODEM Leadership Conference, 3 - 4 December 2015, Faith in the Future: Organization, Power and Trust.
- Introducing new Leadership Committee members, Lynn Caudwell and Rachel Noel, and the new newsletter editor, Annie Carter.
- Book reviews: Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader, Online Mission and Ministry: A theological and practical guide and Doing the Math of Mission.
- Report on Modem's 2014 conference, Emerging Themes in Leadership.
- Book reviews, The Myth of the Strong Leader, Host, The Widening Circle and The Dark Side of Transformational Leadership.
- Professor Heather Höpfl. A tribute by Scott Taylor.
- The Susannah Wesley Foundation for Ministry, Management and Organisation, Sue Miller.
- Book reviews, What Clergy Do, Especially when it Looks Like Nothing and Managing Clergy Lives: Obedience, Sacrifice, Intimacy.
- Report on Modem's 20th anniversary conference
- Introducing Modem's new Membership Secretary, Jonathan Emptage
- Alan Harpham (1945-2014). A tribute by Malcom Grundy.
- Farewell to outgoing Chair, Elizabeth Welch
- Introducing Modem's new Chair, David Sims.
Issue 25, December 2013. Special conference edition
- Letter from Archbishop of Canterbury on Modem's 20th anniversary
- The Kingdom at Work project, David Clark
- Reflections on Growing Leaders, James Lawrence
- Lay Christian leadership and ministry, Peter Bunker
- Course: The work of a Church Administrator
- Book reviews, Building up the Body, Creating the Future of the Church and Spirituality and Business: A Christian Viewpoint
- New-style Spirit in Work network
- Modem East Midlands
- The Tomorrow Project
- Book reviews, In Pursuit of Great AND Godly Leadership and Moving on in Ministry
- Report on one day workshop: 101 Great Ideas for Growing Healthy Churches
- Announcing MODEM's 2013 conference, Sarum College
- Book reviews, Developing Faithful Ministers, Remixing the Church and Church for Every Context
- Questions Business Schools Don't Ask
- Tribute to MODEM's outgoing Secretary, John Nelson, and introducing the new Secretary, Derek McAuley
- News from Grove Books
- Announcing Travelling Together in a Changing Church conference, York St John
- Book review, Mindful Ministry
- Leading for Tomorrow's World conference issue
- 101 Great Ideas for Growing Healthy Churches. A new book from MODEM, Anton Müller
- Developing sub-30 leaders, Part 3. Rob Sharp
- Book reviews, Inspiring Change, Creating a Purposeful Life and The Spirit of Project Management
- Announcing Leading for Tomorrow's World conference
- Church and Business Reconciled? Bridget Adams
- Book reviews, Finding Your Leadership Style and Consultancy Skills for Mission and Minstry
- Report on Leading across Boundaries conference
- Finding the Best Books on Leadership. Dr Scott Taylor, Exeter Centre for Leadership Studies
- Reflections on Lancaster MA in Leadership for Sustainability. Jonthan Emptage, Shetland
- Developing sub-30 leaders, continued. Rob Sharp
- Updates on Leading across Boundaries conference and best 21st century books
- MODEM's next book - It's moulded plastic!
- Keys to developing sub-30 leaders
- Book review, Embracing Chaos
- Special offer on Grove Leadership booklets
- Report from Leadership Practitioners Forum
- Report from MODEM-led URC consultation day
- Members' contributions: from coaching to Channel 4, from Surrey to Shetland
- Developing sub-30 leaders.
- CMS Pioneer Leadership course
- Kingdom at Work project
- Ecumenical Partnerships Initiative - Compassion in Change
- Book review, Loving Volunteers.
Issue 15, April 2011.
A special 4 page issue highlighting recent developments:
- Social networking: MODEM joins ChurchesTogetherConnect and Twitter
- Best leadership books of 21st century
- Leading Across Boundaries conference
- Publication news: MODEM supports Grove Leadership series, MODEM's 5th book takes shape.
The first issue in a new, shorter, style:
- Front line news: The Leadership Institute, Penicuick North Kirk, 101 Great Ideas
- Members' contributions: weekly newspapers in Devon, a new book, business and theology
- Features: Introducing the Best Leadership Books of the Past Decade project
- Book review, The Inner Life of a Christian Leader
- MODEM representative at Westminster Abbey for Pope's visit
- Spirit in Work network celebrates 10th anniversary
- Leadership resources: coaching
- New online social networking site, Good Connections. Jo Edwardes
- CPAS launches new leadership project, Making Mission Possible
- Members' news: 6 contributions, from Australia to Scotland via London
- Book review: Reshaping the Mission of Methodism
- Report on Winchester conference: Leading in a Complex World
- Report on launch of Grove Leadership Series
- Using Your Strengths in Leadership 3, Keith Williams
- Stories from CPAS, When Leading is out of Sight, David Runcorn
- Websites: Simon Walker’s blog & St Paul’s Institute
- Members' news: Workplace Ministry Herts and Beds
- Trends in the decade ahead, Peter Brierley
- Book reviews: Discerning Leadership and Structures for the Church
- Report on Church of Scotland Leadership Forum
- Tributes to Raymond Clarke and Hereward Cooke
- Announcements: Grove Leadership Series launch and Winchester conference
- Book review: By One Spirit: Reconciliation and Renewal in Anglican Life
- Introducing MODEM's new Treasurer and Membership Administrator
- Church of Scotland leadership initiative
- Jewish perspectives on leadership and ethics
- Using Your Strengths in Leadership 2, Keith Williams
- Tribute to Norman Todd
- Transform Work UK conference, Does God Work Here?, Tom Stevens
- Wheaton Declaration on Business as an Integral Calling
- Stories from CPAS, John Lounguet-Higgins
- MODEM network member, Fr Christopher Calascione
- Book review: Mentoring for Spiritual Growth
- Providing Resources: CPAS, James Lawrence
- Bold Leadership: Taking Steps to Bring Back 'Body Ministry', Arno Andreasen
- Book reviews: The Missional Leader and Incarnate Leadership
- Using Your Strengths in Leadership 1, Keith Williams
- Purpose Fuels Performance, Jill Garrett (CABE)
- Book reviews: Coaching in Church, The Leadership Pocket Companion and Nick Stacey and Kent Social Services
- Creative Church Leadership, Lee Rayfield, Bishop of Swindon
- The Changing Church: Tools for the Task, Michael Lofthouse
- Telos and MODEM's Cardiff book launch
- Book review: Growing Women Leaders
- MODEM’s London Book Launch and 2008 Annual Meeting of Members
- Christianity and Work: news from the General Synod
- MODEM network member: ‘Making Room for Church Leadership’, David Brown
- Book review, How to Become a Creative Church Leader
- News from the Foundation for Church Leadership, Malcolm Grundy
- MODEM network member: ‘The U Detector’, Steve Hoggar
- ‘And it’s goodbye from him’ – a parting rant from editor Anton Muller!
- Book reviews, How to Become a Creative Church Leader
- MODEM network member: ‘Service and Leadership: A new module in a new course’, Revd Judy Hunt, Diocese of Chester.
- 'Mountains and Molehills', Revd Elizabeth Welch’s talk at 2007 Annual Meeting of Members
- MODEM network member: Viv Thomas
- MODEM launches new website
- An Ecology for Sustainable Church Leadership, Malcolm Grundy
- MODEM network member: All change! Humphrey Bowen
- ‘Leave it to the vicar!’ sound (and not so sound) bites from the Christian Resources Exhibition
- Book review, Trinity in Human Community, Peter Holmes
- Leadership - the Challenge for All, Mary Chapman, Chartered Management Institute
- Playing to Your Strengths, Tim Harle